Friday, December 19, 2014

The Christmas Card

This wonderful time of the year one of my biggest joys is to receive Christmas cards from family and friends near and far. The joy it brings me as I open the envelope to hear news from far away is what I look forward to each year.
I am also a collector of vintage Christmas cards. I  enjoy going through boxes and baskets of these beauties at antique malls.  I love the feel of the paper, the written word, and of course the art on the cover.
I've been collecting for a few years and have some lovely examples. I keep these in a vintage tin for safe keeping, but also enjoy displaying them at Christmas.
Did you know that Hallmark Cards Corporation Headquarters has been manufacturing greeting cards since 1910! The headquarters in Kansas City, Missouri has the first known Christmas card dated 1843. They saved not only their own cards but also those made by other designers and companies dating back to the late 1800's. Their combined collection includes tens of thousands of cards and postcards. How wonderful is that!
Visitors to the Hallmark headquarters have a chance to see these treasures firsthand with their rich colors, glinting gold, intricate images, textures, and endearing sentiments.
Historical cards show us how important traditions are in the celebration of Christmas.




























This year Santa has taken over my decorating. I love to collect
pictures of children on Santa's lap they're rare but they're out there!













































These lovely reindeer remind me of a Christmas card.


















You gotta have old toys under the tree!







































































































Vintage roly poly Santa, too cute!
 Merry Christmas!

0 comments: